Thursday, July 12, 2012

That Pesky Four

40 block

Although I haven't posted about it for a while, I'm still chugging along on this quilt. Now that I've gone back to see when I posted those first blocks, I realize I've really been dragging my feet on this quilt! The event it's meant to celebrate was a few weeks ago, but I won't see the recipients for another week and a half so that's my justification! I'll give details about the recipients and what all these seemingly random blocks are about when it's finished.

40 close-up

Obviously, since I first started working on this quilt back in May, it's been up on my design wall for quite a while. I finished this 40 block and noticed at the time that the ascender of the 4 didn't match up quite right, but I told myself to move on and no one would ever notice the bad match except for me. Fast forward a few weeks and that 4 had become my nemesis. Every time I added a new element to the design wall, I could see the 4 mocking me. But I was worried that I wouldn't be able to extricate the four without messing up the entire block and having to start all over. I finally asked for advice from the ladies in my quilt group-- should I let it go, or try to fix it? It was kind of a split decision but, in my mind, the people who spoke loudest to me were the ones who said I should fix it because it would forever drive me crazy. I figure they were the loudest to me, because that's what I really wanted to do. I just needed to hear someone else say it. :)

4 take 2

So here's the new 4 with much better matching seams. Now comes the hard part of taking out the old 4 and putting in the new. I'm a little nervous....

more anny blocks

And here are the last of the paper pieced blocks I needed to make. These will be part of the border. I'm hoping to finish up the top this weekend, and then quilt next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.