Sunday, November 11, 2012

Celebrating Corduroy Again

Last year, for the first time ever, I learned of Corduroy Appreciation Day. It got extra special attention last year because it was 11-11-11, an extra high holy day of corduroy.

Still, I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before, especially since 11-11 is also my birthday so, ya know, I pay attention to the date. Last year, in observance of the day, I made K a corduroy dress.

brown cord dress 1

This year, I didn't think of it soon enough to make something big (the holidays always sneak up on you, don't they?). But I still wanted to celebrate in some way, so I dug through my small stash of corduroy and made this sunglasses case.

sunglass case 1

The pattern is from Sue Kim's book, Bags: The Modern Classics, which I highly recommend. I've made the Elegance Pleated Clutch from the book, and I have many more of these patterns on my sewing wish list.

sunglass case 2

The main fabric is Mod Blooms by Patty Young for Michael Miller and the flap fabric is from the Happy Together collection by Timeless Treasures, a leftover from the Music Class Skirt I made a while back. I love the variety of fabrics available these days.

sunglass case 3

Sadly, when I googled Corduroy Day today, I found that The Corduroy Appreciation Club has disbanded. I believe I shall continue to appreciate this fabric, even if there is no longer official club dedicated to it. Vive le corduroy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.