Tuesday, January 24, 2012

From the Couch

It's a good time of year to curl up on the couch and work on some small projects. My sewing machine hasn't seen much action recently, but I finished another rose star block and my scarf.

rose star 2

There's something refreshing about working with such happy, spring-y fabrics during the blah days of winter. I can see these blocks are going to get addictive!

And here's my finished scarf. I found the pattern on Ravelry; it's the Infinitude Scarf by Jeni Chase (and it's free!).

[warning: poor quality self-portrait below]

infinitude selfportrait

As much as I would love to use some luxurious merino/alpaca/silk/cashmere/bamboo blend for every knitting project, those fancy yarns are not in the crafting budget. So I used an acrylic yarn purchased at Michael's. It's Vanna's Choice, and if it's good enough for Vanna, it's good enough for me.

The problem with using acrylic: blocking. I tried to block an acrylic scarf once before and I ended up sort-of/kind-of melting the thing. Bummer. This time I actually did a little research (Google!) and had much better results.

infinitude blocking

And now I'm off to settle into my favorite corner of the couch for more hand sewing!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.