Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WIP Wednesday

I've been hoarding saving some Erin McMorris Weekends fabric for quite a while and I decided I need to be less precious about my fabric and JUST USE IT ALREADY. I have a tendency to squirrel away fabric until I can think of the perfect project for it. So to break my bad habits I spent some time with a (borrowed) Accuquilt Go! cutter this weekend and cut out some tumblers.

stack o tumblers

The original idea was to cut out enough for a pillow or maybe a little doll quilt, but once I got started I couldn't stop and I ended up with this stack. I didn't have a whole lot of this fabric anyway, so I just cut everything I had.

tumbler layout

Unfortunately, when I laid out a handful of the tumblers to get a feel for what I was working with, I don't like it. There's not enough contrast, or maybe it's too busy... I'm not sure, but it's not working for me. I'm considering the addition of some solid aqua or that pinky-purple (lilac?) for more contrast, but any other suggestions would be welcome!

I've also made a little bit of progress on my rose star quilt. I'm sticking with the mini size layout, otherwise I think this could be another one of my hand piecing projects that goes on forever!

rose star quilt 1

K's third birthday is coming up, and after making her birthday dress last year, I think I'd like to make a tradition out of it. I love the way that dress came out, too bad she grew out of it approximately five minutes after the party. This past week I found the fabric for this year's dress and now I need to decide on a pattern.

bday dress fabric

--------------------

And, for the first time, I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday Linkup!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

7 comments:

  1. Awesome rose stars! I am really in awe of those blocks!! And RE: your tumblers - I like your idea of some aqua thrown in - maybe solid, maybe prints....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same problem with fabric. I don't want to cut all that pretty fabric for just anything...and of course it sits on the shelf looking pretty and uncut forever :D

    Your rose star blocks are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of aqua for your tumbler. There is a lot of green & yellow in the prints you have, so I think blue would give you some contrast. Maybe add in some pink too - I am such a fan of solids!
    I'm happy that you linked up today, I've never been here before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, awesome rose stars. And with the tumblers, I think some solids is exactly what it needs. :D Like the light lilac-y color and a cream maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely fabric. Kudos to you for cutting it up! I'm like you in saving certain fabric for just the perfect project. You can't go wrong with an alternating print - solid design. White would give a nice strong contrast! Have you tried using a value finder to determine the contrast?
    And what a great tradition to make your little one's birthday dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tumbler blocks. I've been drawn to that design lately. I say throw in some solids and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i need to learn to sew! i adore that fabric! i think aqua would look yummy.

    how sweet you make k's bday dresses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.