Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Repair Work

The other day I spent all of my available sewing time doing repair work. I patched up knees on three pairs of pants, turned one pair of pants into shorts, and stitched popped seams on a teddy bear and a pillow pet. I was feeling quite accomplished and thrifty when I was done!

These pants were getting a bit on the short side (and those knees were looking pretty worn), so I decided to make them into shorts.

pants to shorts 1

Rather than try to make a nice finished edge myself, I cut off the original cuffs and reused them.

pants to shorts 2

Here's my goofball showing off his "new" shorts.

pants to shorts 3

Then I patched up a few left knees on his jeans. That's right- only the left ones get holes. We know which knee he favors for sliding around on the floor.

knee repair 1

For the pair on the left, I used the same technique as I did on these pants. It's held up pretty well, although that pair of pants was on my repair pile too. He managed to rip them again below the original patch. This time I tried a grid of straight lines in a bright blue thread (but I don't know that you can see it in the photos!).

knee repair 2

I especially like the circuit fabric I used to patch these jeans. And I think it will look even better after they've been through the wash a few times and the edges fray a bit more. He calls them his Transformer pants, which I think is pretty cool. :) He asked if I could put that fabric on all his pants. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.