Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gathered Clutch

clutch 2

This clutch has been on my crafty to-do list for a while. I found the tutorial here. I only made one tiny change, or addition really, to the tutorial by adding a little handle. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. And I really like the fabric- so very summery! It's from Laura Gunn's Poppy line. I actually had a change of heart with the fabric part way through, so I've got another one of these clutches already halfway done.

clutch 1

Even though I've made several zippered bags/purses in the past, I'm still not quite comfortable sewing in a zipper (I do use the zipper foot for my machine). There's something that just doesn't quite click for me; I feel like it's always a struggle and things don't look quite as clean as I'd like. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

I even followed the directions for adding in cardholders and a little divider in the middle. With all those layers of fabric and interfacing it made for some pretty bulky stitching towards the end. The interfacing I used might have been a little heavy for the project, but I wanted to use what I had on hand. More and more I'm trying to make due with what I have, rather than running to the craft store for every project.

clutch 3

Realistically, I don't know how often I'll get to use this clutch. For comparison, this is the bag that I usually carry:

clutch 4

Do you see the discrepancy? At least it'll look cute in my closet!

1 comment:

  1. I made a few of these and I decided to skip the divider and card holders to keep it short & sweet. I think this helped a lot. I still haven't gotten the zipper part exactly right but I like the look I have so far! Then I took this idea and enlarged it and added a handle and made a bigger clutch/diaper clutch for a friend. I love the colors you used. Here is mine: http://mimybellecreations-akasewingtherapy.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.