It's still September for a few more hours and I made it- I finished the backpack!
The completion of this backpack has been trying, to say the least. Not by any fault of the pattern, just annoying circumstances. I'm still without my new sewing machine,a matter that is making me increasingly grumpy, so I had to struggle through by using a combination of my two older, only-partially-working sewing machines. And I had the worst time trying to find the strap adjusters and zipper for this project. I never did find the 1.5" strap adjusters so I made due with 1" adjusters by using 1" webbing for the bottom section of the straps.
As I started piecing this together I thought it looked so small and it would be absolutely dinky on A, but I guess I'm just used to his ginormous superhero backpack because it looks just right on him. Unfortunately, it's not big enough to hold his homework folder so he won't be able to use it for school.
Phew. So glad to have this project done.